Learn All About Water Heater Services
Plumbing Techs in Timberwood Park Want to Share Knowledge on Water Heater Services
What You Need to Know About Water Heaters
A warm bath is a modern luxury. Before water heaters were commonplace, water had to be heated on the stove and carried to the bathtub. Because it was such a chore, bathing was infrequent. Nowadays, you can luxuriate in a warm, soothing bath anytime you want.
What is a Water Heater?
Water in your home passes through a network of pipes. You need a water heater to heat this naturally cool water to the desired temperature. Shaped like a tall, cylindrical drum, this staple appliance is a familiar fixture to most homeowners.
A water heater is made up of a gas or electric heating unit inside a metal tank where water can be heated and stored. Gas and electric water heaters look alike on the outside. The difference is on the inside: an electric water heater contains two heating elements, while a gas water heater has a burner at the bottom with a chimney up the center of the water tank.
What Water Heater Services You Might Need
You can tell that your water heater needs repair when:
- There is only cold water
- Water gets warm but never hot
- Water has a metallic smell or taste
- Water is discolored
- The water heater leaks
- Thumping or knocking noises
If you notice any of these signs, the services of a plumber are probably needed. These are some possible reasons why you are experiencing these symptoms:
- Internal rust: Water heaters are shielded from rusting by highly active metal rods known as sacrificial anodes. Their function is to bear the rusting of the metal they protect. With time, they need to be replaced.
- Sediment buildup: During the water heating process, minerals separate from the water. These mineral deposits settle at the bottom of the tank. Over time, this interferes with the function of the tank.
- Corrosive fumes: For heating to happen, heaters need to draw in air. If this air quality is low (tainted by corrosive fumes), the tank gets corroded leading to leaks or discolored water.
- Old age: With a lifespan of only 8 to 12 years, the problems you face might be because it is time for your heater to retire.
Water Heater Maintenance
Before seeking professional assistance, here are some tips for maintaining your water heater:
- Drain a quarter of the tank a couple of times each year to clear out sediments. Turn off the tank’s water supply, connect a garden hose to its drain valve, and drain the water into a container until it is clear.
- Test the pressure relief valve once a year. Do this by discharging it two to three times. Also, look out for valve leaks.
- Every three years or so, take a look at the sacrificial anode by loosening the hex head screw. If it is less than half an inch thick, coated in calcium or more than six inches of the core steel wire is exposed, it is time to get it replaced.
A plumber can help with the maintenance and repair of your home’s water heater. When it’s time for a replacement, having your new water heater installed by a professional will ensure it is installed safely and correctly.
Consult the Pros at Primo Plumbing Inc.
Family owned and operated for over 50 years, Primo Plumbing Inc. is a full-service plumbing company based in Timberwood Park, TX. They specialize in water heater installation and repair and can help get your home back in working order. Primo Plumbing Inc. offers financing plans, Primo Protection Plans, and 24/7 emergency services.
Over 50 Years Of Five Star Service
I was so pleased with the excellent customer service provided by Luis, Eric, Camillo and Mark. Also, your Customer Service Accounts Payable was so sincere and efficient. I would and will always recommend Comfort Air to anyone.
I've been a customer of Comfort-Air Engineering Inc for about ten years. I like them because they are very dependable. When I call them, they come out. A few years ago, they installed a new heating and air conditioning system for…
Replacing faucets throughout house was no problem for these pros, even though there were a variety of fittings they had to deal with. Showed up on time and worked efficiently. Real professional job at a reasonable price.
We have always appreciated your family owned and operated business. We have been with your company for approximately 20 years and wouldn’t trust any other.
Comfort-Air Engineering Inc. recently installed a generator for us and they also did some plumbing work. This was our first experience with the company. They were on time, professional and courteous. Moreover, they did exactly what we asked them to do…