Don’t Let Gas Leaks Ruin Summer Fun
Timberwood Park, TX, plumbing professionals warn of the dangers of gas leaks.
What Customers Need To Know in Case of a Gas Leak
Natural gas is a wonderful discovery and has affected human lives for the better. It helps keep people warm and fed and, at one time, was used for light. Unfortunately, almost everyone knows that gas leaks can be dangerous. They can even be deadly. Not only can health problems result from a leak, but the more obvious threat is that of explosion. Because natural gas has no smell, leaks were especially difficult to detect in the early days of gas use in homes. A school explosion in the United States led to the addition of methane to the natural gas mixture to make it easier to detect by smell. This is a life-saving alteration.
The Dangers of Gas Leaks
There are more problems with gas leaks than just explosions. A slow undetected leak can cause health problems akin to poisoning. The following symptoms can be the result of a gas leak:
- Dizziness or nausea
- Trouble breathing
- Sore throat
- Stinging or irritated eyes
Dogs and cats may exhibit these problems as well. Too much exposure can even cause a loss of consciousness and result in death.
What To Look for If a homeowner suspects a gas leak, or even if that is not on the radar, several signs are likely to grab someone’s attention.
- Smell: As mentioned above, the rotten egg or sulfurous smell indicates that there may be a leak. Just a whiff of this pungent odor will be enough to alert someone to a possible problem.
- Look: Are the plants outside around the gas lines dead or dying? Is the flame on the gas stovetop orange or red when it should be blue? These are indicators of possible leakage.
- Listen: Is there a hissing or whistling sound that seems to be coming from the pipe? This is most definitely an indicator of a leak.
- Soapy Water Test: A quick way to check the gas lines and fittings is to spray them with a soap and water mixture. If bubbles begin to form, then gas is coming out of the lines.
If There Is a Gas Leak, What Should Be Done?
Should the issue arise where someone suspects a gas leak, immediate action should be taken. A homeowner should not inspect or try to fix the leak themselves. This is definitely not a do-it-yourself project. Whether the leak is mild or severe, the gas company needs to be called.
- Mild Leaks:
- Open Windows
- Make sure pilot lights are off
- Call the gas company from outside the home
- Major Leaks:
- Leave the house
- Call the gas company
- If anyone in the home is experiencing symptoms of exposure, they should be taken to an emergency room.
Gas leaks are no laughing matter, and it’s better to be safe than sorry. A gas company or inspector would much rather come out and investigate a false alarm than have missed the opportunity to save lives and prevent property damage.
About Primo Plumbing Inc
Located in the lovely Timberwood Park, TX, Primo Plumbing Inc. has been serving the surrounding area for more than 50 years. They offer 24/7 service so customers can get help when they need it most, and they will have a cost-effective solution. Call now for expert gas leak service!
Over 50 Years Of Five Star Service
I was so pleased with the excellent customer service provided by Luis, Eric, Camillo and Mark. Also, your Customer Service Accounts Payable was so sincere and efficient. I would and will always recommend Comfort Air to anyone.
I've been a customer of Comfort-Air Engineering Inc for about ten years. I like them because they are very dependable. When I call them, they come out. A few years ago, they installed a new heating and air conditioning system for…
Replacing faucets throughout house was no problem for these pros, even though there were a variety of fittings they had to deal with. Showed up on time and worked efficiently. Real professional job at a reasonable price.
We have always appreciated your family owned and operated business. We have been with your company for approximately 20 years and wouldn’t trust any other.
Comfort-Air Engineering Inc. recently installed a generator for us and they also did some plumbing work. This was our first experience with the company. They were on time, professional and courteous. Moreover, they did exactly what we asked them to do…