Garbage Disposal Services in San Antonio, TX
Garbage disposals are an essential appliance for functional, modern kitchens. Well-maintained disposals can last many years, but sooner or later, you’ll need professional garbage disposal repair.
Comfort- Air Engineering and Primo Plumbing, Inc. is San Antonio, TX’s leading plumber. If you’re ready to replace your disposal or need to schedule repairs, we’ll provide a long-lasting solution and get your kitchen running smoothly again.
What Is a Garbage Disposal?
Garbage disposals have been making kitchen cleanup easier since 1927. Garbage disposals use a rapidly spinning disc or impeller plate inside a grinding chamber to pulverize food into bits tiny enough for water to flush them through holes in the chamber wall into your pipes.
These systems are installed underneath kitchen sinks between the drain and the pipes.
Common Causes of Broken Garbage Disposals
Sometimes homeowners make mistakes that wear down or break their garbage disposals. Here are some common reasons behind broken garbage disposals:
- Grease, oils, and fat can build up and solidify in your pipes or the grinding chamber, leading to clogged drains.
- You risk a breakdown whenever something besides food waste gets into your garbage disposal.
- Fibrous or stringy vegetables like corn husks, asparagus, or celery can twist around the grinding mechanism in your garbage disposal, immobilizing it.
- Hard-to-grind food waste like bones and potato peels can clog your grinding chamber. Similarly, starchy foods like rice and pasta expand in water, creating a blockage.
Preventative Maintenance for Garbage Disposals
Make your garbage disposal last as long as possible by following good preventative maintenance guidelines:
- Don’t grind any of the items mentioned above in the garbage disposal, and ensure the foods you grind are in small chunks.
- Always use cold water when running your garbage disposal. It keeps foods firm for easier grinding and prevents overheating.
- Run the disposal every time food gets into the drain, and keep the water going for another 20 to 30 seconds after turning off the motor to flush all food particles from the grinding chamber.
Trust Primo Plumbing, Inc. with your broken garbage disposal and clogged drains.
Choose Primo Plumbing, Inc. for Garbage Disposal Repair in San Antonio, TX
When Primo Plumbing, Inc. is on the job, our technicians will fix your garbage disposal right the first time and leave no mess behind. Our family-owned and -operated company has been in the plumbing business for over 50 years.
Our free estimates, upfront pricing, and trustworthy, energy-saving services have won generations of loyal customers across Texas.
Look no further than Primo Plumbing, Inc. for all your kitchen plumbing needs, including garbage disposal services.
Garbage Disposal FAQs
How long do garbage disposals last?
Garbage disposals have a typical service life of eight to 12 years. Start thinking about upgrading if your disposal is over a decade old.
How can I get rid of bad smells in my garbage disposal?
Baking soda and vinegar are a great natural way to deodorize your garbage disposal. Dump a half cup of baking soda and a bit of vinegar into the drain and let it sit for fifteen minutes. Grinding up half a lemon is another way to freshen up your garbage disposal.
How do I clean my garbage disposal?
We recommend deep-cleaning your garbage disposal every two weeks. Scheduling garbage disposal maintenance with a plumber will yield the best results. However, you can take a few steps between maintenance appointments. These include:
- Disconnect the power.
- Remove any food bits inside.
- Use baking soda and vinegar as described above.
- Turn the power back on.
- Grind up ice and rock salt — it will sound awful, but it scrapes off lingering debris to prevent clogs.
- Pack even more of a punch by freezing vinegar into ice cubes.
- Finish by grinding up chopped citrus fruit peels.